Been there, done that.

After six years of grad school, there are a few things I've picked up from personal experience and a whole lot of time talking with other female grad students (AKA procrastinating). I've always wished there had been some kind of handbook about how to handle the whole world of graduate school, so I figured I'd start a friendly place to discuss what it's like to be female in grad school, and maybe pass on some wisdom too!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Introduction

I hate introducing myself. It reminds me of the first day of class where the teacher asks everyone to stand up and say their name, where they're from, and something interesting about themselves. My hands always get sweaty and it is incredibly hard to even remember my name when it's finally my turn. It's also inevitable that the person in front of me will have the exact same "interesting" thing about them that I was going to use. Yup. Good times. Now that I get to teach, there's some little part of me the loves using this technique on my students though!

BUT, that being said, my name is Meradeth. It's spelled funny and has resulted in a lot of childhood trauma--especially because it was always impossible to find anything monogrammed with my name when I was a kid. I am a sixth year graduate student, attempting to finish up my PhD at a school in California that has become my employer, house, and torturer. In the past six years I've managed to spend a lot of time talking about what makes graduate school students tick, what makes things run smoother, and especially what I had thought about before I started my graduate career. Basically, I wish there had been a handbook, so I thought I might start one here! I most certainly don't consider myself an expert, but I procrastinate talk a lot with other students and I think it's time to give a little back :)

So, if you have questions, want to post a guest post, or have a suggestion about the blog, please shoot me an email! I'm going to shoot for at least a post a week, if not more, and will try to have some fun content, as well as contests, so hit the little follow button, add me to your reader, and let the conversation begin!

Oh, and let's play nice, okay? Trolls will be subjected to a joint MD/PhD program with an adviser that never leaves his office and expects you to do the same. I can think of no greater hell... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment