Been there, done that.

After six years of grad school, there are a few things I've picked up from personal experience and a whole lot of time talking with other female grad students (AKA procrastinating). I've always wished there had been some kind of handbook about how to handle the whole world of graduate school, so I figured I'd start a friendly place to discuss what it's like to be female in grad school, and maybe pass on some wisdom too!

Friday, March 25, 2011

The Myth of Spring Break

I remember a time when there was such a mythical thing as some time off in the spring. A break. A vacation, even. Such a thing has ceased to exist for me, and may it rest in peace. Someday I may try to revive it, but for the moment, it's long gone. See, this "time off" between quarters has become a mad dash to attempt to finish research before the next slew of conferences, get the rest of my life back in some semblance of order after neglecting it all quarter, and otherwise attempting to regain my sanity. If I can sneak in a day off, all the better. But most of this past week of "break" has been spent at work. And I'm not alone in this. I have had the good company of quite a few grad students roaming the halls, looking slightly less stressed than normal (not me, I have been pulling my hair out), but at work all the same.

So, for today's belated post (I have had this awesome thing I wanted to do all week, but hopefully I'll get to it on Sunday), I want to ask: are you working during spring break this year? Or are you getting away? (No, getting away to a conference doesn't count either. That's still work.) Are you happy about it? Or are you catching parts of the endless spring break coverage on TV and wishing you were somewhere with a bikini and a beer? (Or, at least sitting somewhere quietly, not working.)

I do like hearing from people, so pipe up in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment