Been there, done that.

After six years of grad school, there are a few things I've picked up from personal experience and a whole lot of time talking with other female grad students (AKA procrastinating). I've always wished there had been some kind of handbook about how to handle the whole world of graduate school, so I figured I'd start a friendly place to discuss what it's like to be female in grad school, and maybe pass on some wisdom too!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Meeting with the Undergrads

Wow, I'm thinking today's title would make for a great sci-fi movie :) Okay, clearly I'm sleep deprived....

This evening in one of those rare "give back" (or in my case "warn away") moments, I attended one of the Anthropology Club meetings run for the undergraduates in my department. They were hosting a few of us grad students for a Q&A session about grad school (hence the "warn away" on my part--not really, but I am not one to generally sugar-coat anything!). It was a well-attended event and I had a really good time. Of course, that's probably because I got to pontificate a little, but hey, I gotta get my kicks somehow.

The assortment of students were asking all sorts of questions about things I've covered here, mainly about the whole process of grad school. How do you go about figuring out what you want to do? How do you approach people? All kinds of good stuff for future blog posts, as well as ones I've already hit on. I was impressed by their level of questioning. It is always heart-warming to see a bunch of college students really thinking about the next steps in the lives, particularly continuing their education (this must have a lot to do with TA'ing underclassmen for years on end, and seriously fearing for the future of our country when they can't write a simple sentence to save their lives--but I digress). Anyhow, other than my mild foreboding at the thought of so many people seriously considering going on for a degree in a field that is already so saturated, it was fun. Kudos to those of you out there planning on grad school! May you make wise choices that you later don't wonder why you didn't get a lobotomy instead :)

*please insert Debbie-Downer noise from SNL here*

No comments:

Post a Comment